- What Are Teeth Veneers?
- Problems That Can Be Corrected With Veneers
- Dental Veneer Procedure
- 172 NYC Dental
You wake up in the morning and bleary-eyed look into the bathroom mirror. You smile and there is a pang in your stomach. What has happened over the years? My teeth look dark, they have shifted, there is a space on the left and it’s crowded on the right. The front tooth once had a big filling that now looks yellow. I have a meeting with my boss next week where I’m asking for a raise. I have a date with a wonderful person that I met a week ago. My confidence is going down the drain with the water that I used to wash my face. What can I do to restore my smile and self-esteem? You have become one of the Seventy-five percent of Americans who are unhappy with their smile. Dental porcelain veneers may be the answer.
What Are Teeth Veneers?
Dental veneers are thin shells of tooth-colored material (porcelain, resin) that cover the outer surface of the teeth. Veneers improve the appearance of the teeth. They are bonded to the tooth to change the shape, color, size, and even length.
- Very thin, about .5mm
- The minimum amount of preparation of the tooth which is receiving the veneer
- They are comfortable.
- They are very natural in appearance (our most cosmetic restoration).
- They are tolerated very well by the gingival tissue.
- They are stain-resistant (porcelain).
- They last seven to fifteen years, and then will need to be replaced.
- Once veneers are done, it is an irreversible process.
- They cost $1,600/veneer.
- If they are correcting a dental problem (pathology), veneers may be covered by insurance.
- If veneers are being placed strictly for cosmetic reasons, most insurance companies will deny coverage.
- After consultation, it will take two visits to complete treatment.
- Veneers are made by a cosmetic dentistry technician and then placed on the subsequent visit.
- After consultation, resin veneers will take one visit.
- The material used is called composite resin.
- Placed and shaped by the dentist while you are in the chair.
- They are not as strong as porcelain veneers.
- They last a shorter time.
- They are not resistant to staining.
- They are less expensive, they cost $900/veneer.
Problems that Can be Corrected with Veneers
- Correcting discolored teeth
- Closing gaps
- Correcting weakened teeth
- Correcting broken teeth
- Realigning teeth that are uneven or irregular
Dental Veneer Procedure
- Discuss patient’s needs and expectations.
- Discuss different options for treatment
- Discuss cost, insurance coverage
- Once agreed, will take Medical history, x rays, and study models
- We go over in detail what the next two visits entail.
2. Teeth Preparation:
- Topical anesthetic applied with cue-tip, followed by local anesthetic.
- Once a patient is numb, teeth are gently prepared and impressions are taken.
- At 172NYCDental we use state of the art 3-D scanners to take impressions; there are no uncomfortable, gooey trays.
- Resin temporaries are placed. The patient is given careful postoperative directions.
- Most patients are able to return to work the same day or the following one. There is no real downtime.
- Patients return in about five days.
- Anesthesia may or may not be needed.
- The temporaries are removed.
- The prepared teeth are cleaned and at times gently roughened.
- The veneers are placed, adjusted, patient approval is obtained.
- The veneers are bonded into place with a high-intensity light.
- The veneers are polished.
- Final home care instructions are given.
- Depending upon the case a nightguard may be given at this time to the patient.
- Patients leave with a beautiful new smile and a sense of well-being.
Teeth Veneers at 172 NYC Dental
At 172 NYC Dental, we are a multispeciality, state-of-the-art dental office. We have the most modern equipment in the newest most high-tech office in the city. We are conveniently located in midtown at the corners of Madison Ave and East 33 St. We are an oasis of calm, caring, and expert cosmetic dentists. Whether you need veneers, implants, or a cleaning we are here to help you. All our patients leave our office with happy smiles.